Windows Server 2012 R2 is the next version of Windows Server. It was unveiled on June 3, 2013 at TechEd North America, with a preview release on June 24, 2013. According to Windows Server 2012 R2 datasheet published on May 31, 2013, there will be four editions of this operating system: Foundation, Essentials, Standard and Datacenter. As with Windows Server 2012, the Datacenter and Standard editions are feature identical, varying only based on licensing (particularly licensing of Hyper-V VMs). The Essentials edition has the same features as the Datacenter and Standard products, with some restrictions.
Changes from Windows Server 2012
Microsoft has confirmed the following changes introduced by Windows Server 2012 R2:
- Automated Tiering: Storage Spaces stores most frequently accessed files on fastest physical media
- Deduplication for VHD: Reduces the storage space for VHD files with largely similar contents by storing the similar contents only once.
- Windows PowerShell v4, which now includes a Desired State Configuration (DSC) feature
- Integrated Office 365 support
- Return of the Windows Start Button
- UEFI-based virtual machines.
- Upgrades from driver emulators to synthetic hardware drivers to minimize legacy support.
- Boot from SCSI.
- Faster VM deployment (approximately half the time).
Keys to install:
- BUILD: 6.3.9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623
- FILE: 9600.16384.130821-1623_x64fre_Server_Solution_EN-US_IRM_SSSO_DV5.iso
- SIZE: 4,048,719,872 byte
- SHA-1: 8A4CB96563DDA4F1BF637E57A992F3255D56B6F8
- MD5: 3B61AF8557C7D01B0B5CD5A16F1FD45D